Current affairs along with general knowledge are an integral part of any government or competitive exams. Now a days it holds a significant weightage in any exam. It has such a limitless syllabus that even when you study it daily, you would not be able to complete it thoroughly. Since it is a vast subject and you have to indulge in other subjects as well so you cannot excel at it unless you have thirst to know more.
It is an independent section and students try to cover general knowledge from various sites and use multiple resources. As a result, they end up getting confused because it has wide range of topics which can overlap. Although there are number of magazines, apps, books and newspaper that can add value to government examination.
Recent examinations analysis of SSC-CGLE, UPSC-CSE and Railway Banking Exams shows that the number of questions from the current affairs are increasing every year. In UPSC CSE exam, even the general knowledge questions from History and Polity are based on the current events that took place in the last year.
Also, in SSC the current affairs question can be asked from any event, national or international, that took place in the last six months. This explains the importance of the current affairs for the government examinations.
Hence, here are some tips to equip you for current affairs for competitive exams:
- Books: Books are the widely used and reliable source for preparing current affair. There are a lot of books available universally online, offline, shopping portals.
- Magazines: Magazines have become a trusted source of G.K and current affairs for a very long time. It keeps track on the most of the events happening around the world. Some of them are, topper success review, discuss about interview, group discussion, personal interview post exam, Some magazines also use provide the study material, like geography of India, constitution of India, economy and politics. It is available bi-lingual to reach maximum number of students.
- Apps & Websites: Websites & apps are widely available as now everyone has access to internet and there are various applications which provide 10-20 summarized bi-lingual current affair for quick read. It improves the knowledge. Besides, also watch news channel regularly because it is easy to remember events through visuals.
- Quizzes: Quizzes are also effective in remembering current affair. Time quiz section that test student is another key to learn things as hundreds of new things happen everyday.
- Newspaper: Newspaper is the best source to prepare for any exam as it covers everything on day to day basis. Regular reading makes you effective reader which will help you in exam and you will be aware of each and every aspect. It will give in depth knowledge of political, national, business, sports, regional and international happenings. Some of the best newspapers are The Hindu, Indian express, and others. It not only helps you to stay up to date but improves your English, vocabulary, reading & understanding skills.
- International organizations: World’s major economic organizations like IMF, WTO, WB, IMO are important with exam point of view you must know their functioning, structure. Major political global groups like UN regional groups ASEAN, SAARC. You are expected to prepare about their headquarters, chairperson or any other major reform/event that took place.
- YouTube: It has become the most favorite spot to gain knowledge. Any topic can be easily found & helps you immensely to revise current affairs and for the last-minute preparation, you just need to find a best channel for you to learn from videos and tutorial. Also give online mock test to test how much you know and make note of new points it is very essential as you cannot waste time by searching and reading it again and again.
Important topics that needs to be covered for general knowledge are:
- Recent scientific and technical innovation
- Core subjects like polity, geography, economics, history
- Economic / business related issues
- National and international social political issues
- Environmental and ecological issues
- Sports and films affairs
- Regulatory body information
“The blend of hard work and time management makes a perfect solution for cracking any exam”.